Tuesday 12 August 2008

Engine running on megasquirt

I've got the engine running....... I'm running a megasquirt 2 ecu with a ford EDIS unit. Then using GSX-R750 Bike throttle bodies so it all fits under the bonnet. Basically the ecu controls the injection side of things and the EDIS unit drives the coil packs. More info can be found at http://bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html.

The fuel pressure is running at 3bar and I'm using the original ford manifold air temp sensor and coolant temp sensor original coil packs, and original crank sensor (the flywheel already has the correct 36-1 tooth pattern drilled into the back of it and crank sensor mounted in the correct place.)

Before starting i checked for any fuel leaks with the ignition on and the pump running, I remember seeing a fuel hose pop off of an engine on a dyno at uni.... we all luckily survived as fuel sprayed up in the air hitting the ceiling but its not something I would like to repeat.

It started first time with a bit of coughing and spluttering.... Then I played around with the idle screw to get it idling at a fair speed.... Checked for any water leaks as it heated up (and tightened nearly all the hose clips) , then spent a while balancing the throttle bodies.... It all seems ok

A word of warning..... Make sure all your earths are sound...... My engine was earthing through the throttle cable which got incredibly hot and melted the plastic casing......

If anyone wants a copy of my megasquirt map just get in touch and 'll email it to u.... I've got a map for megasquirt 1 running MSnS-extra with GSX-R750 throttle bodies too....

Here's a video showing it running.....

Apoligies for the bad filming, it was on a camera phone......

No comments: